Medical Oversight & Prescriptions
The FDA regulates the manufacture and sale of Automated External Defibrillators,
and requires a physician's prescription (authorization) for the purchase
of most AEDs. Obtaining a prescription will usually permit an organization or individual
to purchase an AED.
In addition to the FDA's prescription requirement for AEDs, some states
require continued physician oversight of AED programs, as a quality control measure,
and may impose additional requirements for maintaining AEDs, reporting their location
and use, and training responders.
Whether mandated by your state or not, Medical Oversight is a recommended component
of any AED program, and unfortunately is commonly overlooked. At a minimum, Medical
Oversight should include:
- Initial prescription for AED purchase
- Assistance in developing AED program polices & procedures, and training plan
- Written AED use protocol
- Tracking of AED battery, pads, & supply expirations
- Reporting/registration of AED as required by State
- Review of actual AED use incidents
AED Direct can provide both physician prescriptions to purchase AEDs, as well as
several Medical Oversight program options tailored to your organization.